Monday, January 10, 2011

Tortellini Soup

I've decided to make soup at least once a week this winter. Okay, I haven't so far, but it's a new year and that's what I'm thinking. Last week I made Heather Cook's soup. I don't know exactly what to call it, other than really good. Half of my family (the picky ones) said, oh, that soup again, and the other half said Oh! That soup again! It's good.

In dutch oven or large pan:

1 lb Italian sausage, cooked and chunked up
2 cans beef broth
2 cans tomatoes--if you are buying them, get the kind stewed with garlic and basil
crushed garlic (if you use plain tomatoes)
cut up zucchini, yellow and/or green--I like both
basil--the recipe says fresh, but that's really expensive--I just used a Tbsp of dried
1 package dry Italian dressing mix
frozen green beans
tortellini--I have used the dried cheese or frozen with meat--doesn't really matter

Okay Heather said she doesn't usually add the beans because they don't add a ton of flavor, but I like them for texture and color.

This soup is so full of flavor that you just savor each bite and wonder what you'll get in the next one. I love it! Heather brought this for the Cub Scout Cake Auction and Soup dinner, and I thought it was wonderful, and I only got a tiny bite. Now I plan to make it a lot--too bad for my pickies.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love this soup! Melo made it this evening and is in love with it! He made it with fresh green beans and tons of fresh basil and it was great...especially for his first attempt at it. :) Thanks Sally for introducing this fabulous recipe. p.s. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete