Monday, January 10, 2011

Grandpa Orval's Buttermilk Pancakes

This morning Jake wanted pancakes and I remembered a recipe from a long time ago--when we lived in Sugarhouse. This comes from a booklet I typed up when I was the Homemaking Counselor (that shows how long ago since it's no longer Homemaking) for Christmas. Orval Wilson, a sweet, wonderful man, is credited for this recipe.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp oil
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs

Remember if you don't have buttermilk, that's okay. Add a little vinegar to your milk and let it sour. You can tell it's ready when it's kind of lumpy. Some recipes need more milk because they are too thick for me, and some need more flour because they're too thin, but this recipe is just right. The batter almost seems a little thin, but give it a chance--the pancakes puff up nicely, and they're perfect. Not too thick, not too thin.

Yesterday on a cooking show, they talked about pancakes. They added all kinds of things to make the perfect pancake, but most of that stuff I don't remember and didn't have in my pantry. I have all this stuff, and these are really good.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I'm going to have to make these!
    Also I love your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete