Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Taco Soup

This soup was wonderful! I made a taco soup that someone told me about years ago and wasn't that impressed, so haven't ever made it again. But at Christmas I was given a mix for cornbread and the recipe for taco soup, so I decided, since I'm on a quest for the perfect soup, that I'd try again. I loved it! I didn't exactly follow the recipe, and I'm not totally sure on all measurements, which is not a surprise if you know me at all and cooking methods. But here goes:

1 pound browned hamburger
2-3 cans kidney beans, undrained
1 can beef broth (can add more if you need more liquid)
1-2 cans tomatoes (I think I used sliced, which were great because you got nice little chunks of sweet tomatoes)
couple handfuls of frozen corn (the recipe said canned with its juice, but I think sometimes canned corn kind of overwhelms the flavor)
1 packet taco seasoning mix (or two if you're using the larger amounts of beans, broth, etc.)
1 jar salsa

I think the salsa really added to this. Now what I used was my own salsa that I canned. When I made this salsa I decided not to mash it up--I didn't want anything runny, just really thick. So I coarsely chopped everything and it didn't turn out very tomatoey. So as far as salsa on chips, we haven't eaten much of it, but in a recipe, it's absolutely perfect. I use it in tortilla soup, this soup and on a round steak (like swiss steak but one day I didn't have all the ingredients and realized it was all in the salsa, so I just added that--it was great).

1 comment: